Have you ever been so committed in doing something, yet you fail to comply? Like, you really wanted to lose some weight, but it was really hard for you to do? Or, like me you are not allowed to eat some foods because you have an allergy, but there are times that you just can't resist? Or in finances, you really want to save but every time you pass by the mall there seems to be a force that compels you to buy that shoes or that bag? In all of these circumstances, will power doesn't seem enough. Any remedy? It's accountability.
Just think about this, wouldn't it be easier to lose weight, if there is someone who is watching over your diet? Wouldn't it also be easier for you to resist the temptation of eating foods that you are allergic with, if there's someone who monitors the food that you eat? The same way goes for finances. Wouldn't it be easier for you to save if there is someone who looks at your expenses? You might be thinking, so maybe I need a guard. I would say, no! Not a guard but an accountability partner.
Let us first define what accountability means. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, it is an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions. With this, let us talk about how
accountability works in finance. The following are the steps that you can take:
1. Acceptance. First thing you have to establish is to accept that you are in need. No one gets treatment
without acknowledging that there is something wrong.
2. Openness. Once you have accepted that you are in need, you have to be open to the idea of having an
accountable partner. Trust me, without such it is very difficult to manage your finances.
3. Power of "why". Establish the reason why you want your finances to be in the right place. Without these, it will be easy to be swayed from left to right.
4. Find a partner. How will you know if he is the right one? If he is trustworthy and honest, then I believe he
fits to be your accountable partner. But, there are two more things you have to consider. First, is that he
should be knowledgeable in terms of finances. Second, you know that he lives by example.
5. Openness. Be open to your partner. Tell him everything that concerns your finances. This will include your goals, your apprehensions, your spending habits and most importantly your compelling 'why' as discussed in step no. 3. This is the reason why your accountable partner should be trustworthy. Oftentimes, working with your accountable partner would demand that you disclose confidential information. So you have to make sure that the person you are talking to is worthy of your trust. Trust can be established through his reputation, his character and beliefs and his dedication to help you.
6. Acceptance. Lastly, accountability in finance is of no use if you will not accept and implement the advice of your partner. The best advice is the advice put in practice. Trusting that person would mean that you are
willing to accept his opinions and suggestions.
These steps are just guides on how to manage your finances. Its success is dependent on your implementation. Best result is achieved through proper and consistent implementation. If you need help or if you have questions you may call us at 0905-FINANCE (0905-3462623).
If this was helpful, please share or like it.
Be a financial advisor, join our career orientation. - click here.
1. I want to join a FinancePH seminar
2. I want to donate to the FinancePH Literacy Foundation
3. I want to start saving and investing
4. I want to save for my child's education
5. I need advise in setting up my retirement fund
6. I need help in getting life insurance or health insurance
7. I want to invest in the local/international stock market.
8. I want to know if I am financially healthy
9. I Need Quotation For Car/House Insurance
10. I Want To Be A Financial Advisor of FinancePH (Partime/Fulltime)
Write your comments on the article below:
To be the most reputable and renowned source of innovative financial knowledge and financial services that improve the personal finances, businesses and careers of our clients.
We provide quality and affordable financial seminars, financial consultancy and financial products to individuals and businesses globally. We commit to continuously improve the quality of our people by providing world class training to serve our clients with utmost dedication and professionalism. We use the latest technology, foresight and team work to continually expand in key cities, thus making a huge impact in uplifting the quality of life of Filipinos and ultimately improving our country’s economy.
Contact us if you have questions regarding tax, business law, stocks, investment, insurance, estate planning or money related.
Visit our FB page to view our upcoming seminars that you can attend.
Read Our Previous Blogs: