Have you ever had a hard time in choosing what food to eat given the variety of choices? Are you struggling whether to resign in your current job or not? Are you planning for a vacation yet doesn't know where to go? Or you're just in a point in your life right now that you have to decide?
One of God's precious gift to us is freedom. He allowed us to make our own choices. This is blessing from God. Yet, we sometimes neglect God in our choices. Hence, decision making became harder for us. Remember, without Him we are prone to make wrong decisions.
Several months ago, I was where you are right now. Torn between choices, confused, lost and pressured. I really don't know what to do. It was a struggle because I have to choose between the "guaranteed" and the "not guaranteed". As we all know, guaranteed means low risk yet low return while not uaranteed means high risk but high return. There will always be a trade-off. But then, you have to decide. Here are the things I did to arrive at my decision:
1. Pray. It is always right to ask the Lord for wisdom in choosing which way to go. Being in the center of God's will is the best place you can be.
2. Seek right counsel. As it is written in Proverbs 15:22, " without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed." But take note of the word "right". Look for people who have gone through your situation or at least have gained wisdom in the areas you are struggling with.
3. Know your goal. My friend once told me, you should first know your goal then do something to achieve it. Example, if your goal is to be an excellent basketball player, you will start buying your ball, go to the court, learn the game then play.
4. Know your strengths. Assess yourself and start asking where am I good at. You should know which area you are at your best, meaning you are both fulfilled and fruitful. Start maximizing your strengths.
5. Be brave. There will always be fear in making decision. The "what ifs" will surely pop out of your mind. But be assured, that if you seek earnestly God's guidance nothing can go wrong. Remember this, it is God who gave you the people with whom you seek counsel from. Further, it is God who gave you the "dream, your goal. And, it is also God who gave you the talent and strengths. No one knows you better than He does. It is written in John 16:33, " I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
After going through all of these, I decided to choose the "not guaranteed". Why? because God says so and because fulfillment is worth all the risk.
But wait, there's one more thing I did. I commit myself into it. Once you've made a decision, there's no turning back. No matter what the cost is, you have to stick with it. This is what commitment means. As it is written in James 1:5-8, " If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubt is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man unstable in all his ways."
I hope this will help you dealing with your situation as it had helped me. If you need counsel or help contact your financePH advisor. You may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If this was helpful, please share or like it.
The views and opinions posted by our bloggers do not necessarily state or reflect those of FinancePH, its management, employees and advisors. Our blog is intended to share the diverse opinions of our bloggers.
1. I want to join a FinancePH seminar
2. I want to start saving or investing
3. I want to donate to the FinancePH Literacy Foundation
4. I want to try becoming a Financial Advisor of FinancePH
5. I want to know if I am financially healthy
Be a financial advisor, join our career orientation. - click here.