Recently, the Duterte administration announced that it would reduce both corporate and personal income taxes. Although this move is welcomed by most people, I am concerned at how this will affect our budget as a nation.
Further, most law makers have been pushing for several tax incentives. There seems to be a disconnect. The president wants to provide better and faster service to the people. We all know that this requires hiring people and improving existing technology. This requires tax money. But oddly enough, the government is also pushing to lower both income and estate tax.
REDUCE ONE TAX, BUT NOT BOTH Unfortunately we live in a world of reality. We cannot have the best of both worlds. We have to chose one and sacrifice the other. I believe the best way to improve government services would be to improve tax collection and reduce corruption. We cannot reduce taxes altogether and improve government services. Everytime we reduce taxes on the living, we are putting more burden to collect more taxes on the dead. But reducing both taxes on the living and the dead seems to be wrong. Reducing both income tax to 25% and estate tax to 6% may not be a good decision.
HIGHER ESTATE TAX LEADS TO A MORE PRODUCTIVE SOCIETY Estate taxes are taxes paid on the value of the inheritance left by the deceased. Meaning in order to receive the cash or property left by your parents when they die you should pay an Estate Tax after their death. Take for example the sons of the billionaires in China where their sons no longer work but drive fancy cars and involve themselves in several immoral activities because anyway their parents are rich and they will receive a large inheritance in the future.
TOO MUCH TAX ON THE LIVING, TOO LITTLE TAX ON THE DEAD Currently our estate tax rate is at 20%. Our current income taxes is at 32% plus 12% vat or a total of 44% tax taken from us by the government while we are alive. For me we should allow the people who earned the income to enjoy more of it by paying less taxes while alive and paying more when dead. What would you want paying 20% tax while alive and paying 44% estate tax upon death or our current taxes of paying 44% while alive and 20% upon death? This is an exaggeration but I would rather pay more when I am dead and lesser taxes when I am alive.
FINAL THOUGHTS While I believe that our beloved president can do wonders for our nation, I also believe that taxes are the lifeblood of our government. If we are to have better services from the government, it must not reduce both income and estate taxes. The government must tax the living less and tax the dead more. This way, the sons and daughters of the billionaires will also work as we normal citizens do and be productive and useful members of society.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Mark Joseph T. Fernandez, CPA, RFC, AFA, AWP, AEP, MDRT is the founder and head financial advisor of FinancePH. He has helped thousands of people start saving, investing and insuring. He conducts regular monthly seminars and is a regular TV and radio guest on finance topics.
If you want him to be your financial advisor contact him at email@example.com .
If this was helpful, please share or like it.
Be a financial advisor, join our career orientation. - click here.
1. I want to join a FinancePH seminar
2. I want to donate to the FinancePH Literacy Foundation
3. I want to start saving and investing
4. I want to save for my child's education
5. I need advise in setting up my retirement fund
6. I need help in getting life insurance or health insurance
7. I want to invest in the local/international stock market.
8. I want to know if I am financially healthy
9. I Need Quotation For Car/House Insurance
10. I Want To Be A Financial Advisor of FinancePH (Partime/Fulltime)
Write your comments on the article below:
To be the most reputable and renowned source of innovative financial knowledge and financial services that improve the personal finances, businesses and careers of our clients.
We provide quality and affordable financial seminars, financial consultancy and financial products to individuals and businesses globally. We commit to continuously improve the quality of our people by providing world class training to serve our clients with utmost dedication and professionalism. We use the latest technology, foresight and team work to continually expand in key cities, thus making a huge impact in uplifting the quality of life of Filipinos and ultimately improving our country’s economy.
Contact us if you have questions regarding tax, business law, stocks, investment, insurance, estate planning or money related.
Visit our FB page to view our upcoming seminars that you can attend.
Read Our Previous Blogs: